Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why so much broccoli?

The New DeLews are as happy as clams in the Medill. Someday soon I will write an Ode to the Medill and share all the things we love about it (with pictures of course). But for now, I'll just say this- we officially love the Medill, and we are very very thankful. Thanks to great friends, Friday night's move was quick and relatively painless (at least for those of us who were directing where each box should be placed, heh heh). We had bribed our friends to help us move by promising huge amounts of pizza and beer. On Friday we weren't sure how many people would show up, but we definitely wanted to be prepared on the food and drink front, so naturally, we bought way too much Costco pizza and beer for days. Yada yada yada, at the end of the night, after giving away about half a pizza, the New DeLews found themselves with lots of leftover pizza (and tons of leftover beer of course- we're not lushes!) So all that to say, in an effort not to waste anything (we pretend to be green here), we had pizza for dinner 3 nights in a row. Now I like pizza and all, but that's a bit much. It was rough.

After the past week of eating so terribly, and now that we have a kitchen again, it is time to eat our vegetables- specifically green things. Yesterday I decided that broccoli would sufficiently kick off our return to healthiness. After searching through a healthy food blog, I found it! Broccoli Quinoa with Broccoli Pesto. We're talking about 4 pounds of broccoli here, people. If that's not going to get us back to health, nothing will! Now mind you, Mark agreed to this meal, mainly because the other option was a tofu stir-fry. Anyway, I was cutting the broccoli, and suddenly I became nervous that I didn't have enough broccoli. So I asked Mark to stop by our local produce Market- Emilio's, to buy more broccoli. When he came home, I was steaming broccoli and stuffing some of it into a blender to make the broccoli pesto. And Mark gently said- 'Em, that's a lot of broccoli'. But I would not be moved- I need more broccoli!

But then, while I was attempting to stir the largest bowl of broccoli you've ever seen, it all hit me- Oh no! this is a lot of broccoli. So we sat down to eat our green slush of a meal, and I must say, we were impressed by the good flavors. But after about 5 minutes, I sheepishly put down my dish- I just couldn't do it anymore! It was too much! And then Mark gently asked the question that both of us were thinking- 'Babe, why so much broccoli?' My overzealous-ness struck again: good intentions but extreme and ridiculous follow through. And we both have to pay the price- broccoli sludge up the wazoo! So as I eat my broccoli mush for lunch today, I only have one thing to say, lesson learned.

4 comments:

  1. ...none the wiser ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could puree it and use it in the recipes found in "Deceptively Delicious"... such as Chicken Nuggets..... even for the pickiest of eaters (such as myself) it is hidden well! And puree can be easily frozen and then pulled out later to be used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em! I just found your blog and love the idea behind it!

    We ate broccoli last night for dinner! I love the way you told your story - sometimes our bodies are trying to tell us to eat more veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous- None the wiser is probably true...

    Amy- thanks for that advice! I haven't done much with purees yet, but that's a good idea.

    Ali- welcome! Thanks for commenting and joining us!

    ReplyDelete