Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Ten Mile Weekend

Saturday morning at 7:30am I started my first official race ever- the Soldier Field 10 Mile Race! My good friend Ashley was my partner in crime as we ran down and up the Chicago lakefront (alongside 10,000 other runners) for 10 miles in the blazing sun, finishing in 1 hour, 36 minutes at the fifty-yard line in Soldier Field! And yes, we came in 4,123rd place at a 9:41 minutes per mile pace. It was a blast! Mark was our ever-present photographer, capturing us at the start line, the almost finish line, and the post-race exhaustion line. Now that I've got this 10 mile race under my water-belt, it's onto marathon training, which begins next week. After the race, the New DeLews went camping with friends and had a great time. There's something absolutely fantastic about long weekends. We're so thankful to have these sweet times together and with friends.
All geared up at the start line


At mile 9.2, so happy to spot Mark! And to be almost done.


This picture is kind of like 'Where's Waldo?' But I promise I'm crossing the finish line!


My lovely husband supporting us all the way! He's the best.

4 comments:

  1. Why didn't mark run it? Hmm??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It was so fun! Can't wait for the Marathon, but we've got lots of training to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for reals, Ashley. We need to bust our backsides this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO GO GO!!! Proud of you, Emily. Wish that I could run the Chicago with you. I think Wendy would kill me if I started training for another marathon again ... I have to go every other year. ;-) NYC was super great though. Except the part where I wanted to puke my guts out ... hmmm. Good times.

    ReplyDelete