Friday, April 30, 2010

That Miserable Couple

Today is the day- it's moving day! This evening we will be loading up a uhaul and making the long 1-mile trek to the Medill- with the help of some awesome friends (shout out to you all!!), and with the sustaining power of pizza and beer. That's essential.

This past week Mark and I made a packing game plan. Essentially it was- come home from work, pack non-stop, cook or order take out for dinner, and pack some more. We kinda stuck to the schedule. We made tons o' progress on Monday- Mark cooked the Whipple's Last Supper while I went for a run (it was fantastico!). Tuesday we became easily distracted- partly because of my insanely intense wave of hunger that gave me tunnel vision for Indian takeout. We took a packing break to watch Lost, but then realized it was a re-run. Instead of turning off the tv to pack, we got hooked on Biggest Loser/Glee. Needless to say, Tuesday was not our most productive packing day ever. Wednesday, on the other hand, we took care of business! Some friends came over and helped us pack/eat Thai food. Yada yada, we finished packing on Wednesday night. Yep, you heard it- two days before moving day, we were DONE packing! Yeah, the New DeLews freaking rock.

So last night, Mark and I went for a run and then went out to a nice dinner. We had a groupon (we love groupons!) for a chic new restaurant in our neighborhood. You know, one of those places where the tables are real close to each other, so you have to try really hard not to hear the surrounding conversations? We were having a grand ol' time until we started overhearing the couple next to us. This couple was in their early-40s, hopefully not married, and horribly immature. Tidbits of what we heard- Lady: "You're a horrible date! I can't believe you're so awful. You're walking home tonight!", Guy: "Whatever. I don't even care..." Later in the evening, slightly yelling Lady:"I want dessert! I lost 15 pounds so I can eat whatever I want!" Guy: "Fine! Load up on sugar for all I care. I do NOT want dessert! I'm not eating any of that crap!" And the night continued to get worse and worse. They were absolutely miserable. I wanted to tell them to break up, but Mark held me back.

All that to say, the New DeLews made some important promises to each other last night- we will N-E-V-E-R become like that miserable couple. EVER. Now I'm not pretending that we don't have petty fights. Because we do. (thanks to my natural inclination to be petty). But in the midst of everything, we have a foundation of deep respect for each other- and usually that shapes the ways we argue. Disagreeing is inevitable, but we're learning that the way we treat each other during those disagreements is what's important. So, we promise to never be like that miserable couple- we made that vow on our wedding day, and we'll continue to uphold it.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! And on a positive note, way to go on the packing! Good luck with the move this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the DeLews will ever become like that couple :) And, do you guys really have that much stuff? Makes me worried about packing if/when we ever have to move...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate- Thanks!

    Sarah- I didn't think we had that much stuff!

    ReplyDelete