Thursday, May 20, 2010

Oh So Sore!


This week the New DeLews have dealt with an unwelcome visitor- Soreness. Now to give some context, Saturday was the most hard core Sportsy Couple day yet. But this time, our sportsy activities were separate- I ran 11 miles along the lake front, and Mark had a 6 hour Ultimate frisbee tryout. During mile 8 I had a revelation- I love this! I could run all day long. I was smiling and feeling all good about myself. My positive thought- 'Marathon? bring it!' ... ahem, then I hit mile 9. Suddenly my hamstrings felt like steel bars and I desperately fought to make it through the last 2 miles. My sudden swing of emotions brought on my negative thought- 'damn you, marathon!' Exhibit A- my tendency toward extreme reactions. Nevertheless, I made it through the 11 miles, felt tired and had some major hamstring soreness, but phew, I did it. Now my husband, on the other hand, took care of business at the tryout. He was sprinting, 'cutting', 'going deep', 'laying out' (notice how I know all these ultimate frisbee terms?)... Although Mark has been running with me periodically, he hasn't been playing very much frisbee. So, needless to say, he was pretty wiped after the tryout was over.

Now of course, thanks to the New DeLews impeccable and thoughtful planning, we had planned to host our first party at the Medill on Saturday evening. I had a nice list of things for Mark to do when he got home at 4pm (start time for party, which included dinner- 7pm). But much to my dismay- Mark couldn't move. Now I understand soreness- it hurts, but you push through the pain. Now in Mark's case, however, he couldn't push through the pain because he actually couldn't move. For reals- this was a soreness like no other- it was a beast! Obviously this made the party preparations interesting (and very slow!), but it eventually worked out. And for the next 3 days, I learned how to serve my husband in different ways, like putting on his socks for him, carrying him down the stairs, and enduring his groans everytime he took a step. It was a bonding time for us. And I guess we better get used to dealing with soreness- Mark has many more days of Ultimate frisbee, and my marathon training officially starts in June. So, cheers to soreness, we'll be expecting you!

2 comments:

  1. This post makes my heart happy!!! The DeLews are the sportsyist couple I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is also a correlation b/t getting old and soreness. i gather you're the type of couple that will grow old together, so... get used to it : )

    ReplyDelete