Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You win some and lose some

You win some and lose some. And yesterday I lost. Completely lost. It was one of those days where nothing turned out and everything was frustrating. But then the New DeLews went on a 4 mile run (since we're that sportsy couple), and some of my frustration waned. Actually, I am really enjoying this whole thing called exercise and running. I always thought that those supposed 'endorphins' were a joke, but I'm really starting to think that they are legit. When we run, 1. I get distracted because I'm obviously trying to survive. 2. I have time to think through things and remember that there is more to life than my daily frustrations. 3. I feel relatively productive, which helps anyone feel like a winner (kind of like how cooking allows my winning creative juices to flow).

All that to say, I'm thankful that our lives are not just one-dimensional. Although we might feel like losers in one aspect of life, we're able to explore other winning areas- all in the same day. It's my natural (extreme) tendency to assume that every situation is the most significant, life-altering situation ever. So when I experience 'losing hours', I find it pretty difficult to remember that my entire life is not a loss (remember that extreme streak of mine?). But I think running and cooking helps me rise above any felt loser-ness. It's not necessarily the end results of those activities that make me feel like a winner, it's the process that gives me perspective. These activities take me beyond my day and remind me that there is more to life than my frustrations. So you win some and lose some? Yeah for sure. But I'm thankful that we're not bound by the losing days.

1 comment: