Monday, April 12, 2010

A Holiday Feast

I'm not the biggest fan of holiday meals. I know, I know, everyone can get all riled up and angry at me for this, but it's true. The big slabs of meat, all the bones, the starches, and so many pies. I really appreciate the symbolism of holiday meals, people together, celebrating, etc.. But the food itself, meh. I think it's just too much at one time.


Even though I don't necessarily like eating these huge holiday meals, I really enjoy any excuse to cook a lot of food. So when we found out that some of our dear college friends were coming to Chicago for Easter weekend, the New DeLews made plans for the Whipple's biggest feast yet! With a total of 15 hungry eaters and only one oven, we knew that a cooking strategy was of utmost importance. After our Easter service (and after a very necessary coffee-stop) the New DeLews and Adam & E put on our aprons, sat down in the Whipple, discussed the 'master plan', and did a little 'Go Easter' team cheer. Yeah, sounds lame, but it was cool. Believe me.

The menu:
For appetizers (because dinner is never ready when we think it will be)

-Sun-dried tomato stuffed mushrooms
-vegetable slices with thai peanut dip
-broiled brie and apple slices on a baguette





Main course (yup, we're talking about 13 pounds of meat, people!)

-leg of lamb with feta and spinach stuffing
-full chicken with lemon curd topping
-rosemary roasted potatoes
-orange arugula salad


Dessert (most important)








And let me tell you, after 5 hours 0f cooking and 6 bottles of wine, we had 15 people sitting at our dining room table (which we had put 3 leaves in and moved into the living room), laughing, chatting, and enjoying wonderful company with each other. It was a such a sweet time. So this Easter wasn't just a typical holiday meal for me, I felt like we were actually practicing resurrection- although we remember the darkness of the Good Friday, because of Easter Sunday we are able to celebrate together the life that God has given us. Because of Sunday, we have hope. And it is so right to celebrate that hope with our community.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What an incredible Easter celebration!!! Looks like a memorable one for all! Love all you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm horrified that I didn't make it into any of these pictures.

    -josh

    ReplyDelete