Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An Urban Pizza Incident

It’s a beautiful weather day here in Chicago. As everyone knows, we get about two of those days per year, so I had to make the most of it. One of the things that contributes to the New DeLews' ‘uber-urban persona’ is the fact that we both work downtown, and we love that! Unfortunately our offices are on opposite sides of downtown, so we can’t meet up for lunch very easily. But in the past we’ve tried creative ways to meet up. One time I walked to his office (poor decision, as it was about a 30 minute walk), I’ve taken the bus to his office, he's taken a taxi to mine, we've both taken buses to meet up in the middle, etc… All that to say, when there’s a will, there’s a way, but it’s always a little rushed and stressful.

Well today I decided to try yet another creative method to see the Other DeLew. The Chicago Water Taxi! The mucky green Chicago River flows through downtown, and there’s a water taxi with a couple of strategic stops for $2! I took a perfect 5 minute walk to the river, hopped onto the boat, and 10 minutes later I was at Mark’s office! It was so refreshing.

Mark enjoyed some Chicago-style deep dish pizza for lunch today (for a work function), and he graciously offered to give me his leftovers. I’ll be eating dinner solo tonight because Mark is a big business man and has a big business dinner. I had asked him to bring me the pizza when I met up with him today. “Mark, please put the pizza in a bag so I can bring it home after work.” I believe those were my exact words on the phone. And dear Mark came downstairs with the bag of pizza in his hand. We took a walk, got some coffee and relished every moment together. And then I gave Mark a quick kiss and hopped on a bus back to work, bag of pizza in hand.

As I sat down on the bus, I casually looked into the bag of pizza for the first time. And here is what I discovered….

Ahh, the Other DeLew. He did exactly what I requested. Exactly. Love it. Love him. I cherish these moments. Hilarious and just plain wonderful.

7 comments:

  1. everything about this makes me happy. your intentionality with eachother, your exploration of your city and most of all, that pizza. ah, chicago. love to the delews, from liv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww that is such a DeLew-man thing to do! This is Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did layer it between napkins...Dave would have just dropped them in and let them stick together! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Chuck for the man-love!!! I believe I did nothing wrong in this situation. What's the problem? The pizza was protected by the bag AND the napkins. It was a super-portable, super-convenient way to share leftover pizza. I followed the exact instructions I was given. I was happy to help out my wife, and I'm glad that she enjoyed the bounty of my labor. And I'm grateful that she came to see me during her lunch break :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First good laugh of the day!! Just in time for bed too. Thanks for sharing the "little moments" of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - I love it! Yep, Mark follwed the instructions exactly.

    ReplyDelete