Sunday, July 4, 2010

Reflections on Israel and Palestine, Part 3: Ending the cycle of victimization

If it seems like I direct the bulk of my criticism at Israeli policies and not Hamas or other Palestinian actors, it is because I hold the liberal democracy to a higher standard. I have great respect for the democracy that Israel has been able to carve out in the Middle East. I just wish that it was a democracy that benefited Palestinian Arabs as well as Israeli Jews. Of course, I stand against the violence perpetrated by both Hamas and the Israeli Army--but this post is mainly about Israel, as the US is most likely to be able to influence our strongest ally in the Middle East. The US gives Israel’s military over $2 billion every year (http://wrmea.org/component/content/article/245-2008-november/3845-congress-watch-a-conservative-estimate-of-total-direct-us-aid-to-israel-almost-114-billion.html)

I feel like I should have a say in how Israel uses my money.

And last, this episode is emblematic of the cycle of victimization. Jews across the world have suffered tremendously throughout the centuries at the hands of Christians, Muslims, Romans, Turks, Europeans, Arabs, and others. It is tragic, although probably inevitable given this history, that the country with a stated desire to retain its “Jewish character” has victimized others in the name of national security. Some victims, in this case, have become oppressors.

Although Israel labels any attacks by Palestinians as terrorism (and some rightly so), these attacks are really part of an ongoing conflict between two identities that have deeply hurt each other—and continue to hurt each other. This conflict has been so pervasive and enduring that some people don’t know any other way of life except through the prism of war. Moreover, millions of people have been personally affected by the violence. It is not an abstract war occurring some miles away. Rather, families have been devastated and wounds have been opened which would take decades to heal—if healing is desired.

But I believe that there is hope for more just policies, the cessation of violence, and ultimately in reconciliation. Understanding this conflict as a longstanding post-modern conflict based upon ethno-centric identities rather than “good vs. bad” will help in defusing it. Then, the Israeli and Palestinian leaders must craft policies that reflect this reality and honestly push towards a peace agreement. Both sides must give up long-held desires.

But simultaneously, the Palestinian and Israeli people must begin to try to forgive each other. It is my hope that giving air to multiple perspectives on the conflict in the Middle East will in some small way help bring about the recognition of humanity in the other and lead to treating the other with dignity. I am a realist with regard to the tremendous obstacles facing the Middle East peace process; however, I refuse to let cynicism dispel hope for reconciliation among the nations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'll leave this topic alone for now. I'd love to hear your thoughts! I certainly don't claim to know everything, and would love to hear any constructive criticism or other thoughts. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment