Monday, June 7, 2010

Extreme Reactions and Summer Activities

We interrupt this series of Israel and Palestine posts for a not-so-deep and probably not-so-thoughtful post about bikes and summer. Actually, I have much to say about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but the unfortunate truth is that I'm not quite as balanced (or informed) as the Other DeLew is. I'm really thankful for the way Mark thinks through complicated issues, because he challenges me to not jump to simplistic conclusions. Now clarification- that's something I'm working on, it doesn't come real naturally to me. For example, the New DeLews have obviously been talking about Israel and Palestine a lot recently, and typically the conversation goes something like this:

Me: I can't believe Israel is being such a bully! I'm totally Pro-Palestine

Mark: Em, it's not as simple as you think it is. Let's look at the entire history of.....

Me: So you're Pro-Israel?

Mark: No, you need to look at both sides of the issue, and the proposed solutions are so complicated....

Me: So your Pro-Palestine like me! Two have become one!

Mark: Ugh! Em!!

Actually, I'm not that ridiculous, but unfortunately my initial reaction to current events tends to be a bit extreme. But give me a bit more information (and some time to cool off), and I'll start to really think through the issues. Regardless of who is in power, however, I'm really concerned about all of the Palestinians and Israelis that are being affected by this unnecessary violence and unrest. And I do pray for reconciliation. And justice. And peace. I'm looking forward to hear more of Mark's thoughts.

Onto the not-so-thoughtful topics, Friday was very exciting because the New DeLews biked to work for the first time this season. I finally got my wonderful clunker bike fixed, which was absolutely necessary since some punk-ass kids stole my front tire. And the brakes didn't work. And the handles were on upside down? I don't know why, but it's fixed now. We had another Craigslist success and got a used bike for Mark. My bike- bright green. Mark's bike- bright orange. We look like a bunch of skittles riding around the city. Anyway, summer has arrived and the time for biking to work, marathon training, beach volleyball, and ultimate frisbee has commenced (oh so sportsy!). And of course, we're also looking forward to the other non-sportsy activities- free symphony concerts, summerdance, drinks on patios, beergardens. Gotta love summer in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment