Monday, October 26, 2009

Thai Red Curry

We mentioned that we would talk about kithcen experiments on this blog. Mark and I have a running google document of 'our favorite meals'. In the past few months I have become awakened to the beauty of cooking. I've come up with a whole 'philosophy of cooking', but I don't feel like writing it down yet, so give me some time.


Mark and I strongly believe that Thai food is objectively the best food in the world (even though we haven't yet been to Thailand, we still think we're masters on this subject). One of my goals in life is to be able to cook the things we love most- including Thai food. After spending a good hour in a very authentic Asian market in Chicago (it took an hour because we couldn't read any of the product names), we bought the basic spices required in Thai cooking. I must admit, one of the ingredients that is essential to most dishes is 'Fish Sauce'. Oh dear, fish sauce has such an atrocious odor, and yet if you can persevere through the smell, you can create Americanized-Authentic Thai food. So, below is the recipe/pics of the Red Curry dish I made tonight.

Thai Red Curry (based off the food blog http://www.rasamalaysia.com/)

-1 tablespoon oil
-1 1/2 Tbs red curry paste (from asian market or Whole Foods)
-8 oz. shrimp or boneless chicken breast (cut into small cubes)
-some fresh green beans
-thickly sliced carrots
-1 15 oz can coconut milk
-1/4 cup water
-2 tsps sugar
-1/4 tsp fish sauce

Heat up a small pot with the cooking oil. Saute the red curry paste until aromatic. Add the chicken and/or shrimp into the pot and stir well with the curry paste. Add coconut milk, water, beans, carrots, and bring the curry to boil. Add fish sauce, sugar, and stir-continuously for 1o seconds or so, dish out and serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice.


(Pretty much you can use any veggies you want- I added in onions and green peppers too)

We drank it with a riesling, primarily because it equalizes the spicy-ness of the curry. In honor of Fall, I also made one of our favorites: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. You can find a super easy recipe on one of my favorite food blogs: http://www.smittenkitchen.com/


Anyway, that's it for today. We love to eat and we love to experiment in the kitchen. Please try this out and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment