Saturday, October 10, 2009

Josefina


All right, I realize that it's almost been a week since my last post. Shame on me. I don't really have more to say about it.

I have a major issue with hair salons. Everytime I go to get my hair cut or highlighted, it's an emotional fiasco. My hair generally turns out looking fine, but the experience is rough. I don't know why this is the case, but I've noticed a trend of hair salons increasingly becoming more and more pretentious. The stylist can't understand why I don't spend 45 minutes on my hair each morning or why I don't want to buy $50 shampoo. Whenever I sit in that chair, I get chastised for something, and then I get very antsy to escape from this place where hair is the center of the universe. Well, I have had enough of that.

In our neighborhood (Logan Square), we have tons of hair salons, I mean tons! On my short walk home from the El, I pass by 4 hair places, most of them labeled 'unisex', 'Crazy $10 Tuesdays', 'we do bowl cuts', etc... Perhaps they're not the most 'posh' places, but I figured they'd be able to cut my hair sufficiently. So Monday night, I ventured to the hair salon closest to the Whipple owned by a wonderful woman named Josefina. Josefina is a dear lady who has owned the shop for 9 years, and has lived in Logan Square for 25 years! And guess what? Josefina didn't chastise me for having ridiculously nasty roots or dead ends. She simply cut/colored my hair, and talked to me about our neighborhood and the rough economy. It was such a refreshing experience to spend 2 hours with a wise woman who understands that hair is not the center of my life, but good hair can help make things a bit better.

Spending time with Josefina reminded me that 'living intentionally' in this community is not necessarily some big event. It involves going to a local salon and sharing the mundane moments together. Although it does not seem very significant, these moments give us a glimpse into someone else's world, and it allows us to understand our community a bit better. Thankfully, this realization helps 'living intentionally' seem a bit more manageable.

2 comments:

  1. Yei! That makes me VERY happy. Wish I were there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! This is my fav post for SURE! I resonate with the traumatic experience of cutting my hair! it is also usually emotional and uncomfortable! I love your thought on living intentionally in your community! You are such a stud Em - LOVE your heart!

    ReplyDelete